Monday, February 14, 2011

Futbol!

The season opener game for the Boca Juniors soccer team was last night. The Boca Juniors is located in La Boca and they are one of the most successful clubs in Argentina. Their arch rivals are River Plate, another team in Buenos Aires and their stadium is less than 15 minutes from our apartment so I guess that does make us River fans. Something I just recently learned is that the Boca Juniors have more fans flood their stadium than the Argentina National Team. The stadium La Bombonera, which means chocolate box,  is one of the biggest in Argentina. The fans are known for their passion and over the top rowdiness. Check out this youtube link to see get a taste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE_V9Sl84NU. Boca is one of the few teams that has a strong connections with the neighborhood they were founded upon. Many clubs move from their local communities but Boca has stayed true to this colorful neighborhood (check out pics from previous post). For this reason, many of seats are reserved for season ticket holders.

Matt and I found tickets for standing seats available online but decided we would get more information from locals before we settled. It took us one day to find a guy who knew someone who had connections with the club president and often sells the tickets he doesn't use. That was the good news. The bad news he told us is that it is very dangerous for girls to go. Specifically a American, blonde, tall one who would stand out like a sore thumb. He is said it is dangerous because the fans at these games target tourists for stealing and harassment, and La Boca is not a place to be at night. I would like to think this is just one opinion but perhaps he is right because while watching the game neither Matt and or I could find out one girl in the crowd. I am hoping if I take the right precautions there are ways around this. Maybe I can dress like a boy and where a hat to hide my long blonde hair!

4 comments:

  1. Haha u should totally dress like a boy and go haha. Ps: they throw bags of poop and sparklers at the seating area of the opponents.....it should be a sight

    ReplyDelete
  2. T- Jessica shared this blog site with me - so hope you don't mind my reading. Sounds like you are having a great time - I'm so excited for you and look forward to reading about all your experiences. Take care - stay safe and enjoy.
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. u can be Amanda Bynes from "She's The Man!" ahahahah. i crack myself up. loves u

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people say it is dangerous for blonde Americans to go but the truth is that there are a lot of girls at these matches. I´m staying in one of those furnished apartments in buenos aires and many of the women that live with me in the building have gone and had the best time. It is a matter of courage!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete